Dating Sites Reviews Forums

Passion or Lavalife

Page navigation

Dave

Anonymous
Has anyone tried the Passion website or Lavalife. I am curious if I will get better number of reponses from one over the other. I realize that responses depend on the profile written and pictures, but what is better on average?

Thanks

Dave

memememepickmememe

Anonymous
I don't know so this is just on what I have heard second-hand, but I got the impression they were more "meat market" kind of sites (great just what we need more of right), so take that for what it's worth. good luck!

Lion Heart

Anonymous
sleepy
I never tried passion but I personally did not like Lavalife at all. Lavalife makes you use "credits" to send emails, reply to emails, chat online, or do just about anything. Plus there are people that will bug you to send them credits too so your paying for two people instead of one just to talk to someone. It doesn't take long for you to burn through however many credits you purchased and need more.

I personally suggest finding a place with a flat monthly fee like eharmony or match.com. In the end you'll thank me. I may also be biased but I had alot more luck meeting new people from match.com than I ever did with lavalife, but your mileage may vary.

Cat Girl

Anonymous
cheerful
I liked Match more than Lavalife too. I didn't care for the credit system of Lavalife. Of course I was on it more than a year ago so things could have changed.

firebird

Anonymous
Both lava life and match com stink. But maybe its me. I think I look 15 years younger since I lost 80 pounds. I am retired with a real income to live without a part time job. I am a homeowner. No kids.

My main problems are that i do not want a woman with kids lliving with her (I changed from having no kids ) but I relented because I wanted dates. But the no kid rule is personal-one broke up my marriage.

Second-I live in a small town about 20 miles from Dallas but down an interstate with no road construction which is abundant in Dallas area so this should not be a problem.

Match.com seems to have the same sayings in the profiles i.e. love to laugh. No orignality. Most women are not beauty queens but are too attractive to be advetising for a date if you know what I mean. No green card types to speak of in Dallas area.

Lava life. A former co worker and someone I casually dated for 2 years found her dream boat-an unemployed middle aged guy who is now living in her house. What a deal. Unemployed and can afford to date. That is interesting since dating in Dallas, Texas is very expensive though not NYC prices. She can't understand that this guy is a looking for a sugar momma . But she is a big girl.

I sent out over 600 HUNDRED e mails (not counting answering the few that were returned from match advertisers). Went on one date from a woman addicted to match but told me that she was recovering from her recent breakup and was 'in pain'. Still makes me gag at her BS act. Had a three week fling with an unattractive though slender woman. I am used to heavy women and this was a treat to date someone slim.

As for my experience with lavalife. I did recently get a reply from a woman who has sent two e mails and I sent t my phone number but she has not called. I did spend $14.00 in credits in all three categories. Waste of money.

I wish that there WAS a good site in the Dallas area. The Dallas Observer which is still published was an underground (alternative) paper who used to run print ads since the 1980's and I had good luck. The advertiser paid and the person responding paid nothing. Several sent photos and nice stationary and some where perfumed. Romantic.

JohnB

Anonymous
caffeinated
Lava Life has just started offering videos, something that Match.com or most others do not offer.I think using video might cut down on some of the people jsut playing games on there. The person also could not hide behind an old picture.

JohnB

greatlover

Anonymous
hopeful
Quote by: Lion Heart<p>I never tried passion but I personally did not like Lavalife at all. Lavalife makes you use "credits" to send emails, reply to emails, chat online, or do just about anything. Plus there are people that will bug you to send them credits too so your paying for two people instead of one just to talk to someone. It doesn't take long for you to burn through however many credits you purchased and need more.

I personally suggest finding a place with a flat monthly fee like eharmony or match.com. In the end you'll thank me. I may also be biased but I had alot more luck meeting new people from match.com than I ever did with lavalife, but your mileage may vary. </p>

I had a very bad experience with eharmony when i did the trial and just before the trial is up, a 'match' came and then it wont share the pic justifying it as 'not necessary' and that compatibility in other areas are 'more important'. When the picure came after the trial the match was heavy old and absolutely !!!
Before the first match came the search kept coming "no match'. Also there was no match again for a while( they guarantee so much during the year). Again the match was 150 miles or more away ( though this was not in option ) and agin this was justified as 'distance ' is not impt as 'compatibility'.
I asked for a refund and only then I was told that it will not refund. After researching some reviews I was convinced this is a hoax and fraud activities may be happening so I made a complaint to the Consumer Affairs. When I informed them I am reporting, my money was refunded.
Take caution...

greatlover

Anonymous
[This is a correction from above post. My review is below: I had a very bad experience with eharmony when i did the trial and just before the trial is up, a 'match' came and then it wont share the pic justifying it as 'not necessary' and that compatibility in other areas are 'more important'. When the picure came after the trial the match was heavy old and absolutely !!! Before the first match came the search kept coming &quot;no match'. Also there was no match again for a while( they guarantee so much during the year). Again the match was 150 miles or more away ( though this was not in option ) and agin this was justified as 'distance ' is not impt as 'compatibility'. I asked for a refund and only then I was told that it will not refund. After researching some reviews I was convinced this is a hoax and fraud activities may be happening so I made a complaint to the Consumer Affairs. When I informed them I am reporting, my money was refunded. Take caution...</p>[/QUOTE]

CW

Anonymous
brainy
Come on!! Sooner or later, most intelligent lavalife members must be able to wake up and realize how destructive lavalife really is. My experience with lavalife, although full of hope and naive notions of finding "the one" at first, soon became a nightmare. And like me, soon enough, most intelligent people figure out the types of behaviours that lavalife promotes. First of all, lavalife promotes a kind of pseudo intimacy enabling people to hide their feelings, insecurities and fear of commitment. Secondly, most lie about themselves in their profiles, this includes age, height, education and more -- and everybody is a "social drinker" on Lavalife, plus they all participates in every sport and outdoor activity imaginable. The site opens doors for opportunities to give up on potential relationships quickly, because after all, all one has to do is "log on" again. NEXT! should be the lavalife word of the day, each day. Other behaviours include spying on ex dates -- quite a painful experience most difficult to give up especially if you are the one who got "dumped". Lavalife is also a place that promotes rejection, mysterious disappearances, rudeness, infidelity (two of my friends marriages have broken up because of Lavalife), stalking, and of course, online dating addiction. Sooner or later, most people leave, get discoured with "real life" meetings and go back to the site. Each time, another disappointment. So little criticism has been written about the site and this amazes me. People's feelings are hurt every day, marriages break up, and more important, the paranoia and suspicion that sets in once people meet and break up on lavalife is never talked about. In my experience this is the only way lavalife has the potential to work: set up a profile, be naive, be hopeful and know little about the site. By chance, meet some other people who have been there for the same lenth of time and with the same intentions (limiting enough for you?). Of those few, you might connect with one. Congratulations you found potentially "lasting" love. Now delete your profiles together, forget you were there and give your relationship a real try. If you happen to miss this brief and wonderful window of opportunity (a possibility to about 5% of members in my opinion), then you will stick around and get to interact with the players, the elusve, the commitment phobics, the serial daters, and worse, the married members. Lots of them have been there for years! Most of them have no intention of finding a real relationship. Now, we all know that no one can play a game with you unless you play back -- so if you stick around to play the game, the only possiblity left is improving your strategy, reinventing yourself, figuring out how to "get even", and changing your pics and bio often. Then you get to speculate, speculate and speculate some more as to why lavalie is not working. Keep on clicking while time is ticking!! Guess what...it's three years later, you went on 30 dates and you're still single. You tell me how this place brings people together?. 5% doesn't count as a reliable statistic. True there is immediate gratification when you keep trying (although brief)... promotes bouts of happiness followed by let downs. Intimacy that lasts at least five minutes at a time is better than nothing right? If you add up all the five minutes you might end up with a few hours over the years. And it's just perfect, you don't have to be accountable to anyone, even to yourself. Dump'em and move on right? Five years go by and you have the perfect excuse. "I just haven't found the one!" I say get real! If you haven't found the one within the first month you're there, get out and find your other half in the real world. And when you find him/her, have an honest conversation and be absolutely clear he/she is not playing the game behind the scenes on lavalife.

Julian D

Anonymous
angry
I am experiencing Fraud on Lava from the company it self. There are phony Profiles of perfect girls. This is how I know for sure. I replied to one and saved the link in my mail box. Less than 24 hours I clicked the link to find I went to a new picture and Nickname with the identical profile and stats. And this profile is left on all night. It is clear they are using the same link for these phony profiles and can't even bother to open a new file. So when your sent a smile from someone that appears perfect, It's just lava's automated rip off system. Last point is this. I challendged Lava's customer service on this a number of times with no responce. How many of you work for a company that would not want to protect their reputation. A sucker born everyday, that the Lavalife way!

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:47 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content