Welcome to Dating Sites Reviews
eHarmony Review (eHarmony.com)
Welcome to one of the most in-depth dating services on the Internet: eHarmony. According to a recent study, eHarmony is responsible for 438 marriages every day in the United States, making it one of the most popular destinations for marriage-minded singles on the Internet. The site also calls itself “the first relationship service to use relationship science” to develop its compatibility matching and marriage profiles.
What makes eHarmony so unique? In the late 90's, after 35 years practicing as a clinical psychologist and counseling married couples, Dr. Neil Clark Warren believed that there was a better way to find love than leaving it up to chance. His revelation lead to the birth of the site and the creation of eHarmony’s famous matching system. The system is based on a complex matching method developed through extensive testing of married individuals. It’s so innovative, in fact, that the system was even granted a US Patent.
Here is a good video that helps explain how eHarmony matching works and a little of their history as a dating service:
After joining the site, every member must take the time to fill out an in-depth and rigorously defined profile, then every match is screened for compatibility. eHarmony cuts out the hours wasted searching through dead-end profiles on other dating sites by showing users only the matches that demonstrate compatibility with your profile. Using the site’s Matching Model, 99.7% of incompatible members are eliminated. If you’re looking for a serious relationship, it doesn’t get any better.
To get started on eHarmony, users are asked to complete a comprehensive Relationship Questionnaire. The results are compiled into a detailed Personality Profile, and used to provide personal insight and enable the site to find compatible matches for you. The questions create a clear picture of who you are and what you’re looking for, going above and beyond what most dating sites do.
After setting up profile, users can upload a photo and answer more questions to build their profile. A picture is not required, but it is encouraged to increase the response rate of your profile. To protect your privacy, only your matches can see your photos. Once the profile is active, the matching process is safely in the hands of eHarmony’s patented Compatibility Matching System, which provides daily matches based on the potential for deep connection and long-term compatibility.
eHarmony allows anyone to sign up for a free account, but features are limited for unpaid users. All members set up a Personality Profile, receive new matches daily, and can view their matches’ profiles. Paid subscribers can send and receive unlimited messages, view unlimited photos, see when their matches are logged in, see who has viewed their profiles, and have full access to the eHarmony mobile apps.
If you’re looking for convenience, eHarmony offers applications for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Android. The apps include all the important functionality of the main site, allowing users to:register, take the relationship questionnaire, see new matches, send icebreakers and eHarmony Mail, update your profile, upload photos, archive matches, and more. Other premium services can be used for additional fees, like Secure Call (a private, secure way to talk one-on-one over the phone without revealing your phone number), RelyID (an ID verification service), and the Premium Personality Profile (an expanded version of the standard Personality Profile).
In addition to the singles matching service, eHarmony operates eHarmony Labs, a relationship research facility, and publishes eHarmony Advice, a growing relationship advice site. The advice site is continuously updated with helpful blog posts and success stories, while eHarmony Labs conducts research for product development, peer review, and academic publication.
eHarmony has also been a tremendous success here on Dating Sites Reviews, where it won the 2010 Top Pick award for Match System and the Single’s Choice award. eHarmony reprised its success from 2011 to 2016, earning the same awards for a record breaking fith year in a row, and added a new award for innovation to its impressive collection of honors.
If you are from Canada and wish to try out this online dating site, visit eHarmony.ca. It is the exact same service as eHarmony.com, with the only exception being, the members live in Canada
eHarmony Espanol provides a fully translated, localized experience for those singles who speak spanish. For the full story see: eHarmony Launches A New Site For Spanish-Speaking Singles
For users who want to access eHarmony from their mobile phones you can do this from the website or dating apps.
- See our eHarmony Coupon page for a full list of promotions
Note: See this page for a full list of past awards
Positive Features of eHarmony
- Very detailed matching model based on 29 key dimensions that predict relationship success and examine 10 areas vital to your happiness and a fulfilling marriage
- Ideal for those who are serious about marriage or a long-term relationship
- No more endless searching—you are shown only the members who match your profile
Negative Features of eHarmony
- More expensive than other dating services
- eHarmony presents matches based on the profile you create - you can't perform your own searches
- Free members can only communicate using multiple-choice questions and anwsers. To create your own freestyle message (or read others) you must have paid for a subscription (unless it is a free communication weekend, these happen about once a month)
At a Glance
- United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia
- English, Spanish
- Member Numbers:
- Cost per Month:
- From $19.95 / month
- Membership Types:
- Free - Basic
Average User Reviews & Ratings
Related Posts & Pages
- eHarmony Information, Statistics...
- eHarmony Awards
- eHarmony Review (eHarmony.com)
- 2016 Dating Sites Reviews Choice...
- eHarmony Offers New Features and...
- 2016 Dating Sites Reviews Choice...
- eHarmony Free 5 Day Trial this N...
- eHarmony - Buy 6 Months and Get ...
- eHarmony Free Communication this...
- eHarmony Free 5 Day Trial - Nov ...
eHarmony Free Membership
- Yes (Unlimited time)
- Create a Personality Profile
- The Personality Profile is very detailed. The main topics of the profile are:
- My name and relationship type
- Self descriptions (describe your physical appearance)
- Personal characteristics (e.g. religion)
- About you (indicate how well a series of statements describes you, like “I get stressed out easily” or “I often make others feel good”)
- Self descriptions, con’t (rate how well words describe you, like “introverted” or “ambitious”)
- Personal characteristics (indicate how well statements like “I enjoy a good joke” describe you)
- About your feelings (rate your feelings, such as happy, tired or hopeful)
- Relationship orientation (rate how strongly you agree with statements like “It is difficult for me to let people get emotionally close to me” and “It is important to me to have close friends in my life”)
- Import qualities (rating of importance of partner’s qualities)
- About your personality (true and false questions)
- Your personal interests (rating of interests like biking or astrology)
- Living skills (indicate how skilled you are at things like “socializing” and “resolving conflict”)
- Communication style
- Matching information (basic info like “How much do you smoke?” and “How much do you drink?”)
- Other general info
- Attitudes and opinions (respond to sentences like “I am a delight to be around”)
- Reviewing your matches profiles
- Not included:
- Communicating with members
Relationship Types Allowed
Your Relationship Status
Relationships You can Look For
- Membership fees last confirmed November 10, 2016. Always check with eHarmony for the most current pricing
- eHarmony Memberships (3 types):
- Basic Plan:
- View match photos
- Request photos from matches
- See who’s viewed your profile
- See when your matches last logged in
- Send/receive communication requests
- Subscription prices in USD:
- 1 month for $59.95
- 3 months for $39.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $119.85 - 33% savings
- 6 months for $29.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $179.70 - 50% savings
- 12 months for $19.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $239.40 - best value with 67% savings
- Total Connect Plan:
- Includes all of the Basic Plan features
- Includes Premium Personality Profile (extended Personality Profile)
- Includes RelyID (get you membership information verified)
- Includes Secure Call (make anonymous voice calls to eHarmony members from your own phone)
- Subscription prices in USD:
- 3 months for $44.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $134.85
- 6 months for $33.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $203.70
- 12 months for $23.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $287.40
- PREMIER Plan:
- Guarantee: eHarmony will extend your membership for an additional 12 months if needed, no questions asked.
- All matches can see your full profile and photos, and can communicate with you
- Can pause account for up to 3 months
- Profile Advisor personal consultation ($99.95 value)
- Can call the PREMIER team at any time to personalize the matching experience further
- eHarmony Secure Check:become more confident in a match by requesting a review of their name, age, and criminal background for up to 3 matches
- RelyID:confirm your identity so your matches feel confident around you
- Secure Call:talk to matches on the phone safely and securely without exchanging phone numbers
- Subscription prices in USD:
- $41.95 per month for 12 months. Billed in one installment of $503.40
- Basic Plan:
- eHarmony additional paid features
- Premium Personality Profile
- An extended version of your Personality Profile with 15 additional aspects of personality (see Story).
- Costs $19.99 for the entire subscription term (1, 3, 6 or 12 months)
- Allows members to see that your name, address and age are verified. RelyID verifies this information by cross-checking the information that you enter with various consumer and business databases
- Costs $5.95 for the entire subscription term (1, 3, 6 or 12 months)
- eHarmony Secure Call
- A private and secure way to talk one-on-one with your eHarmony matches over the phone without revealing your phone number. This allows you to enjoy the safety and security of getting to know your matches without having to disclose your personal contact information. You can use your work, home or mobile number to make and receive calls at any time
- Costs (USD):
- 1 Month for $7.95
- 3 Months for $5.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $17.85
- 6 Months for $5.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $35.70
- 12 Months for $5.95 a month. Billed in one instalment of $71.40
- Premium Personality Profile
- eH +
- This service is the best of what eHarmony offers along with your own personal counselor
- It gives you freedom from your computer which means no updating profiles, managing matches, or juggling communication
- Your matches are checked first by your counselor and are confirmed to be interested in you before you contact them
- This service will cost $5,000 for a one year subscription
- For further details please read about the launch of eHarmony's eH Plus
- eHarmony Access
- Allows you to keep some benefits of a paid full membership after your subscription expires
- Not available to all members yet
- Allows you to still view photos, receive matches and send icebreakers
- If you choose this option when canceling your full membership you will then be charged a much smaller monthly fee
- Most eHarmony subscription plans are billed in one installment. The 12-month plans have an option be billed in 3 installments
- eHarmony accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover cards, as well as debit cards that feature either the Visa or MasterCard logo
- eHarmony also accepts PayPal and Bill Me Later, which are secure and convenient global online payment systems
- eHarmony US subscription prices are similar to both Canada, United Kingdom and Australia when you take the exchange rate into consideration
eHarmony Viewing & Communication Tools
- Mobile apps available for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Android. The app can be used to:
- Take a slimmed down version of the Relationship Questionnaire
- See new Matches
- Review Match updates
- Send Icebreakers
- Use Guided Communication
- Send eHarmony Mail
- Update your My Profile page
- Upload and update photos, from Facebook or directly from your device
- View the Personality Profile
- View Premium Personality Profile
- Close and Archive Matches
- Keep track of who you are dating when and where (synchs with your iPhone calendar)
- Add contacts (do not have to be eHarmony members
- Rate your dates
- Foursquare integration to find great date spots
- See our quick take on this feature by reading: eHarmony Integrates Datebook into their iPhone App
- The iPhone eHarmony app supports the use of the Touch ID fingerprint sensor for logging in
- Compatibility Matching System (Matching Model)
- Eliminates 99.7% of people who are not right for you
- Provides matches who are truly compatible, based on the 29 key dimensions that predict relationship success
- Made up of 3 components:
- Compatibility Matching - Uses a member's personality and psychological profile
- Affinity Matching - Uses historical data gathered by eHarmony
- Affinity Matching - Ensures the right match is delivered at the right time
- Please read this article for a more indepth look at how matching works on eHarmony
Search For Members By
- Matching Model (see above point)
- Match Settings
- Can be modified to change your match results
- Some of the settings that can be changed include distance, ethnicity, religion, smoking, drinking and children
Other eHarmony Information
- Items of Note:
- Can only view Members that fall with in the Matching Model (no random searching)
- There is no way to tell if a match can communicate with you or not (meaning if the person is a subscriber). This is not an issue for PREMIER Plan subscribers since all members can communicate with them
- You can't tell how long a match has been a member
- On December 19, 2016 eHarmony added some new features and removed the Guided Communication Process (see Story)
- eHarmony is mentioned very positively in many articles, including an article on Internet dating sites in the New York Times newspaper
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our information at DatingSitesReviews.com we shall not be held responsible for any discrepancy. There is a possibility that the information provided here is outdated or wrong, please check with the service directly for the most recent information. As always you should read your terms of service before signing up to any online service.