Plenty Of Fish Review (POF.com)
POF got its start in 2003 (as Plenty of Fish) and is now one of the world's largest free dating services with more than 150,000,000 members. POF.com gets about 2.4 billion page views every month, and every day on average 4 million members logging in resulting in about 10 million conversations. If you are new to POF, you are not alone, about 70,0000 new users sign up every day. POF also usually has from 450,000 (during a weekday afternoon) to 1.5 million users (during the evening on Sunday) online at any one time. With these types of numbers, members are guaranteed to meet a variety of singles on the service actively looking for friendship, casual dating, and serious relationships.
Don’t let the nonexistent price tag fool you – POF is a fully functional service with every feature you would expect from a dating site and dating app (plus a few fun bonuses). It starts out with basic profile information about you and what you’re looking for. Initial signup questions cover children, marital status, interests, smoking and drinking habits, religion, profession, income, family situation, relationship history, and more. Users then personalize their profiles with a headline, an essay description, and a list of interests. An optional essay on conversation starters is also available.
The most interesting part of the profile comes next: the Relationship Chemistry Predictor. POF makes the matching process fun with several questionnaires designed to assess compatibility. The Relationship Chemistry Predictor poses 73 statements about you and your personality, to which you must indicate whether you “Disagree,” “Somewhat disagree,” “Somewhat agree,” or “Agree.” The test measures five broad dimensions of personality, then users your responses to match you with other members who have taken the test. To find these matches you must check out the POF Ultra Match which uses the advanced “Behavioural Matchmaking System”.
Users also have the option of taking the Relationship Needs Assessment, which determines your known and hidden needs in a relationship. When the assessment is completed, you are presented with an action plan of questions and topics to communicate effectively with your matches. Other questionnaires include “Is Your Love Interest A Keeper?,” a “Psychological Assessment,” and “The Sex Test.”
Other features on POF include Tokens, Meet Me, testimonials, and POF single events (POF.com website only). Tokens can be bought and used to purchase profile highlighting, a Super Yes used in Meet Me, and the ability to send a priority message.
Meet Me is a fun way to review local members one at a time and to tell POF if you want to meet the person. With the POF app you can swipe left or right to indicate your choice, or tap on the buttons for No, Maybe, Yes, or Super Yes (same options as the website). If you say yes to someone, and they say yes to your profile, then a mutual match happens and both users are notified.
If you have been added to a user’s favorites list, you can leave a testimonial for him or her. You can edit or remove any testimonial you have written, and can remove any testimonial written about you.
POF Single Events is a feature where event hosts can post information about events and POF members can sign up for the event. The events are based on location allowing you to view events from your own country (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, etc...) which further divides by state/province. Events can be found in the search and listed in the Inbox section below your messages. Each event contains the event date, location, the cost (if any), and a description of what the event is about. The event also lists all the POF members (with a photo and a link to their profile) who have signed up to go. When you do signup you can also specify the number of guests you plan on bringing. Event Hosts can be messaged by those interested in attending by visiting their profile if they have any additional questions to ask about the event.
A free membership allows for full access to the site, including searching, testimonials, favorites, and communication with other members, but paying has its perks. Members who upgrade receive highlighted profiles in search results, access to users who have said yes to you in Meet Me, the ability to see if sent messages were read or deleted, virtual gifts, the ability to see who viewed your profile and when, and ad removal.
Whatever POF is doing, they’re doing it right. Dating Sites Reviews users have voted it their favorite free dating service many times, and it’s been ranked #1 or #2 in the UK, Canada, and the United States.
Positives of Plenty Of Fish
- Most features are free including creating a profile, searching, and communicating (read and send messages). If you choose, you can spend money on Tokens or a membership upgrade (see costs section below for more details)
- One of the largest free online dating services
- Many advanced search filters that are included with the free account
- Able to specify what type of members can contact you (this includes age range, location, etc...)
- Profiles are very detailed. When you register you are required to input all of your profile information first before you can start using the service
Negatives of Plenty Of Fish
- Some features require a paid upgrade subscription
- Almost no email customer support and no phone support
- No group chatting or uploading of videos
- The large amount of advertising - found in website menus, personal messages and other areas of the site - can make site navigation confusing
- No cost barrier for creating a membership, so watch for married people and scam artists
- Lacking a photo verification tool that is popular with other dating services to ensure the person is as they appear to be
Editors Bottom Line
What should you take away from this review of Plenty Of Fish? Our expert explains:
"Plenty of Fish" is an extremely popular free dating service that has been online for almost 20 years. They have succeeded in becoming a dating service for all singles by not only offering many search features but a detailed matching system as well.
A list of up to the last 5 awards for the Current year and/or Past that Plenty Of Fish has been the recipient of, in the Dating Sites Reviews Choice awards.
Note: See this page for a full list of past awards
At a Glance
- United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, International
- English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Member Numbers:
- Cost per Month:
- Free to $12.90 / month
- Membership Types:
- Free - Basic + Contact
Average User Reviews & Ratings
Plenty Of Fish Profiles & Sign Up Process
The Plenty of Fish dating service can be accessed from their website at POF.com, or on a phone using their Android or iOS dating apps. POF is one of the few dating services who do not ask if you want to connect your account to a social networking service like Facebook. They also ask for all of your profile information up front during sign up (most is mandatory). A lot of services tend to only ask the basic profile information and then allow the user to start using the service (meaning a lot of the profiles on these services lack substance). When you register for your POF user account, you will be asked for the following information:
- First Step
- User Information, Gender, Birth Date, Country, Ethnicity
- Second Step
- Location Information, Gender Seeking, Basic Physical Information, Family Situation
- Looking for, Children, Marital Status, Longest Relationship you have had, Smoking and Drinking Habits, Drug Use, Religion, Pets, Income, Profession, Education
- Unique questions asked include:
- Do you own a car?
- Describe your personality in one word
- How ambitious are you?
- Would you date someone that has BBW or a few extra pounds selected as a body type?
- When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?
- What is the longest relationship you have been in?
- Headline, Description (essay question), Conversation Starters (optional essay question), Interests (comma separated list)
- Account Verification
- Enter your mobile number and then enter a verification code you receive by text from POF
- Images can be made private
- Can add 8 pictures to the profile, or 16 with an upgraded account
- Can download your photos from your Instagram or Facebook account
- Relationship Chemistry Predictor Test
- Will be asked to take the test to improve your matches
- Test is not required and can be taken later
- See the Search and Matching section below for more information
- First Step
Your profile and photos will be reviewed by a moderator before being displayed on the site. You can change your birth date and gender within two weeks of signing up; after two weeks it is assumed to be correct and can't be changed. This prevents people from trying to trick the matching system to give them different results.
When you edit your profile you can also hide your profile from others preventing it from showing up anywhere on the site or app. You can also adjust your Mail Settings at this point. This includes settings for different POF features including sending you emails about Weekly Matches, or When Someone has said yes to you in MeetMe. Other mail settings relate to the type of members who are allowed to send you messages through the POF service. See the Communication section below for more on what these settings are. Under the Mail Settings you also can disable your own profile views from being tracked along with a list of the users you have blocked (you can also unblock users from this page).
POF Account Verification
To protect users accounts from unauthorized access and to help prevent scammers from joining the POF dating service all members must verify their account by providing their mobile phone number after logging into the service. POf will send the member a text with a secret code that they can then enter on the verification page. This verification process for the account is only required to be done once per device (as long as the device supports cookies) which accesses POF. For example if you use your laptop to access POF.com and your mobile phone, you will have to do the verification process on each device.
Members who don't have a mobile phone that can receive SMS text messages are required to contact POF customer service to verify their account a different way.
For more information please see this article about the POF verification process.
Relationship Types Allowed
Your Relationship Status
- In a Relationship
Relationships You can Find
- Activity Partner
Plenty Of Fish Costs
POF offers a free membership which includes communication and a paid upgrade option. Upgrading your membership triples the number views of your profile and more than doubles your chances of meeting someone special.
- Prices last confirmed November 17, 2019. Please check Plenty Of Fish for most recent pricing. All prices in USD unless specified otherwise. Prices may differ based on location, time of purchase, or device used
- Free Membership
- Create a profile and upload photos (8 max)
- Search for members using any of the search tools
- View member profiles and photos
- Read, and reply to any message
- Send a message to any user as long as you meet their mailing criteria
- Favorite a user
- View your Favorite list and see who has favorited your profile
- Use Meet Me to view matches and say yes or no to wanting to meet them
- Take any personality tests including the Relationship Chemistry Predictor
- View your Ultra Matches
- See who has viewed your profile (but cannot sort the list)
- Costs: Free
- Upgraded Membership
- Everything from a Free Membership
- No ads
- Listed before free members in the Meet Me feature
- See the users who want to meet you (from using Meet Me)
- View all users extended profiles
- View Interaction - See all your POF history with another user
- Search for members by username
- Find out if your emails were read or deleted
- Find out the date and time someone viewed your profile
- Send 3 virtual gifts per day
- Your profile will be highlighted in all searches
- Upload 16 images for your profile
- Costs (in USD):
- 3 months for $38.70 ($12.90 per month)
- 6 months for $51.00 ($8.50 per month)
- 12 months for $81.40 ($6.78 per month) - Save $73
- POF accepts Credit Cards and PayPal
- Subscription costs appear to be cheaper on the website than through the dating apps
- Subscriptions will automatically renew for the same price and package length until canceled
POF also uses a virtual currency called Tokens. Tokens can be purchased separately and then used for a number of premium features.
- Use Tokens for:
- Highlight Yourself
- Profile is highlighted in search and you are labeled as "Today's Catch" in MeetMe Also referred to as Boost
- When your profile is highlighted, you will see an orange bar on your profile page. As your highlight time runs out, the orange bar will shrink
- Costs 1 Token
- Super Yes
- Send a Super Yes in Meet Me. This tells the other person that you are really into them and gives you a 56.3% better chance of getting a mutual match
- Costs 1 Token
- Send a Priority Message
- When you send a priority message, you go to the top of a user’s inbox
- Your message will stay at the top of their inbox for 29 days, or until the message is read
- Costs 1 Token
- Highlight Yourself
- Cost (USD)
- 10 for $16.90 ($1.69 per Token)
- 5 for $8.95 ($1.79 per Token)
- 1 for $1.99
- Unused Tokens expire after 6 months
- Use Tokens for:
Plenty Of Fish Viewing & Communication Features
Plenty of Fish offers a vast number of tools to view and communicate with other members. These tools are available both from the POF.com website and on the POF app.
Most of these features can be found when viewing a user's profile directly or within the search and match results.
- Allows you to view all public profile information about the member
- View any photos they have posted
- Direct way to send them a message, add as a favorite, and send a virtual gift
- View any "Conversation Starters"
- View Our Interaction
- Allows you to see all your POF history with another user, including whether you've messaged them before, or if they have viewed your profile
- Requires upgraded membership
- View extended profile if you have an upgraded membership
- View any Testimonials the user may have from other members
- Report and block user from your searches, matches and communication
- Users can help make POF better by rating random profile images. This can be done for men and/or women. Either approve photo or can reject based on things like Shirtless, Nude, Cartoon, Needs Cropping
- Inbox / Conversations
- Send, receive, and reply to messages from other members
- To view the status of a sent message (if it has been read or deleted) you must be an upgraded user
- View your "Contact History". List of users based on if you or they made first contact. Can filter by gender and age range
- View your "Top Prospects". Your best matches that you’ve already been in contact with
- From the Mail Settings you can limit the type of users who can send you first contact messages by:
- Gender, Age Range, Country, Distance to You, Upgraded User, Users with Images, and size of message (min number of characters in message)
- Spark (app only)
- Quote any part of someone's profile in your message to break the ice
- For more info see: Plenty Of Fish Debuts New Conversation Feature And Redesigned App
- Conversation Powers (app only)
- After chatting with a member for a period of time, Conversation Powers will be unlocked. When this happens a message will appear notifying you it has unlocked and a blue plus icon will appear where you type your messages. Tapping on the icon will then display the Conversation Powers tools menu
- Features include voice messaging and the ability to share photos in messages
- For more info see: Plenty Of Fish Launches ‘Conversation Powers’ To Keep Users Talking
- View a list of POF Single Events in your area. For more information see: Member Organized Dating Events Accessible again from POF
- View a list of your favorite profiles
- View a list of users who have favorited your profile
- View a list of your favorited profiles who have updated their profiles recently
- Add a Note to a Favorite member. This Note Is only Visible to you
- Add a Testimonial for a member who you are on their Favorite list
- To create a testimonial, you must be in that users favorite list
- You can remove any testimonial written about you from the Favorite list
- You can edit or remove any testimonial you have written from the Favorite list
- Testimonials for a member are viewed on their profile
- Up to 3 virtual gifts can be sent to 1 or more users everyday
- Gifts will appear in the users inbox
- Requires an upgraded membership to use
- Viewed Me
- View a list of users who have viewed your profile. To sort this list by date of when they viewed your profile requires an upgraded membership
- View a list of users who you have viewed
Searching and Matching
POF is all about searching and probably has the most detailed search of any dating service we have come across (especially on the desktop version). Clicking on the "Search" menu will return your basic search results with the filters defaulting to your match settings. Advanced Search is also available from this menu and allows for many more filters. The Basic Search returns profiles in a detail view showing the main profile photo, location, username, age, about summary, type of relationship they are looking for, education, and when they were last online. In the website version, the Advanced Search does allow for a gallery view of the search results. This gives you 15 profiles showing a photo, username, age, relationship type they are looking for, and if they are online now. Other search sections include Online, New Users, Will Respond. and My City. Most of these can be determined by just using the regular search feature of POF.
- Basic Search
- Your initial search includes your predefined match preferences including Gender, Age Range, and Location
- Optional basic search filters that can be added and changed include: Gender, Age Range, Images Required, Relationship Looking For, Body Type, Education, Ethnicity, Location, Distance to Location
- Most filters allow for multiple selections
- Sort results by Last Visit or Newest Users
- Advanced Search
- All filters of the Basic Search
- Plus most attributes of a profile including: Marital Status, Profession, Pets, Eye Color, Personality, Ambition, etc...
- Most filters allow for multiple selections
- Can specify display type of Gallery or Detail view (desktop only)
- Online / Nearby
- Shows the number of user who are logged into POF local to your location
- Shows users online now in a gallery view
- Sorted by distance to you. On the app this feature uses your phone's GPS location and is called Nearby
- New Users
- The latest sign ups matching your search criteria within 50 miles of your Zip Code
- Can refine search by altering the age range
- Will Respond
- Returns a list of users who will most likely respond to a message from you if you view their profile
- The average user from this search last logged in about 20 hours ago and are expected to be online again in the next 3 hours
- My City
- Allows you to search for users in your city (based on your zip code) who log in at least once per day. The average user displayed by this search actually logs in 3 times a day
- Can refine search by altering the age range and specifying: All Users, Users I have Contacted, or Users I have not Contacted
- Found by clicking/tapping on an interest listed in a members profile
- Can refine search by altering the search attributes for your location, age range, interests, gender, and relationship type seeking
Plenty of Fish has a couple of options for users who want a more automated matching approach to dating. Meet Me is their most popular option and is similar to how Tinder matching works. POF Chemistry Predictor is the second and more in-depth matching option.
- Meet Me
- Tell users if you want to meet them or not by viewing individual photos of members local to you
- Which members are displayed to you is influenced by their location, age, your search options, and whether or not they are a paid member
- Swipe left or right on the app or use the buttons to indicate "No", "Maybe", "Yes", and "Super Yes"
- "Super Yes" requires a Token to use
- "Users who want to meet you" section shows a list of users who have said "Maybe", "Yes", or "Super Yes" but you have yet to answer for. Requires upgraded membership
- "Users you want to meet" section shows your list of users you would like to meet but have yet to answer the same question about you
- "Mutual Meet me" section shows you a list of users who want to meet and you want to meet
- The "Alert Center" found in the top bar of the app and website will show any recent Mutual Meet Me matches
- My Matches
- Lists matches based on a number of factors including location, relationship type, and matching interests
- Matches listed in gallery format. Only the image of the member and the number of interests matched is shown
- Clicking on the image takes you to their profile
- Ultra Match
- Found under the "My Matches" menu and is POFs advanced “Behavioural Matchmaking System”
- Lists of matches sorted by compatibility
- Match listings shows basic information about the member. Clicking on the profile image takes you to their profile
- Can refine matches in list based on age range, distance to you, and when they are online last (can be based on hours or days)
- Matches use information from your profile along with the "Chemistry" personality test called:
- Relationship Chemistry Predictor
- Measures five broad dimensions of personality that are each essential for building a romantic relationship. These include Self-Confidence, Family Orientation, Self-Control, Social Dependency/Openness, and Easygoingness
- As of 2019 over 37 million users have taken this test
- There are 73 questions. The questions are statements with 4 multiple choice answers from 'Disagree' to 'Agree'
- You are asked to respond to statements like “I can resist temptations easily,” “My religion is very important to me,” and “I have high standards for myself.”
- Relationship Chemistry Predictor
Plenty of Fish also offers other personality tests that you can take to help you in different aspects of your dating life. These tests include:
- Is Your love interest a Keeper?
- A list of 28 questions you answer about your partner which determine if you should continue the relationship
- Questions are statements with 4 multiple choice answers from 'Disagree Completely' to 'Agree Completely'
- Relationship Needs Assessment
- Determines a person's overt and hidden needs in a relationship
- Each user who takes this test receives customized Action Plans that outline specific questions and topics for the user to ask or explore with potential partners. These Action Plans are based entirely on the unique answer patterns of the test taker, so everyone receives guidance that is custom-made for them
- There are 100 questions. The questions are statements with 4 multiple choice answers from 'Not at all like me' to 'Much like me'
- Respond to statements like “ I like my partner to compliment my achievements,” “I feel very possessive toward my partner,” and “I am living the life that I want.”
- Psychological Assessment
- This test will tell you what you really want versus what you say you want in a partner
- There are 30 questions. The questions are statements with 4 multiple choice answers from 'Irrelevant' to 'Must have'
- Seduction Style Guide (The Sex Test)
- Completing this test will generate a complete step by step guide on how someone would seduce you. The guide contains a 3 step seduction plan which includes: Approach Me, How To Date Me, and How To Sexually Seduce Me
- There are 46 questions. The first 16 deal with flirting and your preference for communication. 30 of the questions are statements about you with 4 multiple choice answers from 'Strongly Disagree' to 'Strongly Agree'
- See our article about The Plentyoffish Seduction Style Guide for more information
Other Plenty Of Fish Information
POF was originally called "Plenty of Fish" and used the domain plentyoffish.com (instead of pof.com now). The company is based in Canada and was found by Markus Frind in 2003. He sold the company to Match Group late in 2015 for $575 million USD.
The POF dating apps (iOS and Android) received a major update in the summer of 2017 which included a number of new features and a redesigned interface (see Story).
Related Posts & Pages
- Plenty of Fish Study Reveals Pre...
- Should Dating Apps Be Required t...
- Plenty Of Fish Review (POF.com)
- Plenty of Fish Information, Stat...
- Member Organized Dating Events A...
- POF Adds Phone Verification to t...
- POF Singles Events App
- New Look for POF
- Plenty Of Fish Bans Photos With ...
- New Study Finds Dating Apps Have...
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our information at DatingSitesReviews.com we shall not be held responsible for any discrepancy. There is a possibility that the information provided here is outdated or wrong, please check with the service directly for the most recent information. As always you should read your terms of service before purchasing a product and/or signing up to any online service. DatingSitesReviews.com may receive a portion of revenue if you click a link in this page and buy a product or service.
DatingSitesReviews.com is a resource for online dating which includes reviews for related apps and sites. We provide this service for free and instead choose to generate the income for the business from advertising and affiliate programs. We may receive advertising compensation from the sites listed on this page if you click a link and buy a product or service.