Dating Sites Reviews Forums

Are there ANY of the large date sites that actually work?

Page navigation

firebird

Anonymous
I have treid POF and you get what you pay ofr (it is free and it stinks).

Match.com is not much better but it costs.

I am tired of being home watching TV or seeing happy couples everywhere. I live in a small town but close to a huge city.

So after experimenting with some sites with ads hoping to generate some intital response since i can not e mail unless i join, I am ready to take the plunge again.

I am seeking sites that have a large date base. Cost is not a consideration. I do not want to join more than one site.

I want results meaning i want a lovng partner before I die of old age.

So has anyone found any sites that really work for an average guy?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Nope.

If you are a single male in America, and are not rich/famous, you are pretty much screwed.

I'm considering suicide myself.

Matchmaking Momma

Anonymous
I am so surprised that so many people use the corporate sites like match.com. My dating service has over 3 million singles and I have been in business since 1998. I am privately owned, so I do not have to satisfy shareholders. I am passionate about my business and LOVE what I do. Online dating was fairly new back in 1998 but has grown in leaps and bounds. Now we offer niche dating, blacksingles, BBW, seniors, handicapped, you name it. Everyone wants a dating service they can call their own. You can't say online dating does not work unless you have tried different ones. I have heard too many bad things about POF, but what can you expect? It is a FREE online dating service and offers no customer service. The owner openly admits that he started it to teach himself programming!! He offers no customers service, no personal service, a forum where people cut each other up, criticize each others profiles. If everyone used this site as their first experience with online dating they would not try anywhere else. Ten years in the dating business and going strong. I have gone on singles cruises with my customers and had a blast, I have arranged local single events and every one was a sell out. You have choices in life, People who are serious about meeting a partner do not mind paying for a membership, after all they are trying to find someone to spend the rest of their life with. So if you use free sites do so at your own risk. Nigerian scammers love these sites and love taking advantage of lonely singles. Protect yourself, use a good service, know the company that you are dealing with.

Manbert

Anonymous
Matchmaking Momma, you didn't really address the first two posters concerns. If a dating service doesn't have equal numbers of men and women in every age range, then some members are going to be dissatisfied. Typically there are more men than women overall, with the imbalance being worst for young adults. Ideally the dating service's statistics would be easily available for all and wouldn't depend on the age or gender of the person asking. One place where I can see this kind of info is Craigslist where there are 5 times as many ads by men as women.

Tallguy

Anonymous
There is an even bigger problem that most of the sites are scams aimed at suckering you into buying a subscription by a)not letting you do anything until you have subscribed and b) sending you lots of messages from fake profiles to make you think its worth subscribing to read them and reply. The easy test is sign up for the free option, leave you profile completely blank and sit back and wait to see how many women who *really* want to meet you send you messages. If that happens you can be pretty sure that the responses you are getting have nothing to do with you and everything to do with your money. I've yet to find an adult dating site that passes the test. If anyone knows one please post it here.

You can fool some of the people all of the time and those are the ones they're after.

newgirl

Anonymous
confused
This is the first time I've ever been to this site, or any other dating review site. I'm newly divorced and am trying to find some information on online dating services (and trying not to feel pathetic in the process). I'm reading all these negative posts and it's kinda depressing. Are there any real sites out there where meeting someone nice to spend time with is honestly the goal? BTW, not all of us girls are out to get your money guys. I do very well on my own thank you.

Marty

Anonymous
No, none of the sites actually work. I don't know how they manage to stay in business, but they can hire lots of stooges to say good things about them, plus they can afford to run ads to make us think they're the only show in town.

anonymous

Anonymous
stressed
I am thinking of signing up for great expectations. the cost is high at about 4,000.
One aspect I hope is true is, seems the only ones that would sign up for that type of service are really serious, or it could be that they are just dumb, and maybe I am too? I tried E Harmony and Match last year, and didn't have great results,
Please let me know your thoughts.

wildmustard

Anonymous
tired
I have been divorced for 2 years. I checked out what Consumer Reports had to say about dating sites (yes, I'm a nerd!) and decided to try Chemistry.com. It's an offshoot of Match.com, modelled on eHarmony but not religious. I have had a profile there since mid-September and I have to say it's been pretty useless. Only ONE man (oh, I'm a 47 year old woman, btw) indicated an interest in ME; he did seem like a good possibility but pulled his profile within 12 hours of expressing interest. The other profiles that have been sent to me have mostly been not very good fits. Not one guy has responded to my indication of interest. Part of the problem for me is area specific: I am a well educated, well travelled, well read woman of 47, moderate but left leaning politically, stuck in the South. No offense to Southern men, but I am NOT what they are looking for, apparently! And vice versa. I also decided to be honest and post recent photos of myself, and to admit upfront that I'm no longer built like I was when I was 20 years old.

I completely understand the frustration among good, ordinary, decent guys trying to find someone - good, ordinary, decent women feel the same way. So, why is it so hard for us to find one another?! I don't know. I do know that for many of us, especially women, but many men too, our children's lives and schedules take up so much of our free time and energy that there's not any left for trying to get out and meet someone new.

I do want to let you all know that you should not despair - there really are nice women out here. We're just tired and we don't look like Barbies anymore, if we ever did, and we are scared and frustrated and confused too.

Don't know about any other dating services - my friends who have tried eHarmony, Match, and Cupid did not like them.

curly

Anonymous
I'm still looking!!

I have the added disadvantage of being western but living in Asia and have found it almost impossible to find sites to find western men. Over here it seems to be sites for western men to find themselves an Asian bride.

One site which I can't comment if it's good from an actually meeting anyone perspective, but has a lot of tests to take which can be fun when you're bored is okcupid.com.

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:56 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content