Subject: Are there ANY of the large date sites that actually work?

Posted on: 2008/01/05 06:03pm
By: Anonymous

I have treid POF and you get what you pay ofr (it is free and it stinks).

Match.com is not much better but it costs.

I am tired of being home watching TV or seeing happy couples everywhere. I live in a small town but close to a huge city.

So after experimenting with some sites with ads hoping to generate some intital response since i can not e mail unless i join, I am ready to take the plunge again.

I am seeking sites that have a large date base. Cost is not a consideration. I do not want to join more than one site.

I want results meaning i want a lovng partner before I die of old age.

So has anyone found any sites that really work for an average guy?

Re: Are there ANY of the large date sites that actually work?

Posted on: 2008/01/08 01:30pm

Nope.

If you are a single male in America, and are not rich/famous, you are pretty much screwed.

I'm considering suicide myself.

Posted on: 2008/02/12 04:02pm

I am so surprised that so many people use the corporate sites like match.com. My dating service has over 3 million singles and I have been in business since 1998. I am privately owned, so I do not have to satisfy shareholders. I am passionate about my business and LOVE what I do. Online dating was fairly new back in 1998 but has grown in leaps and bounds. Now we offer niche dating, blacksingles, BBW, seniors, handicapped, you name it. Everyone wants a dating service they can call their own. You can't say online dating does not work unless you have tried different ones. I have heard too many bad things about POF, but what can you expect? It is a FREE online dating service and offers no customer service. The owner openly admits that he started it to teach himself programming!! He offers no customers service, no personal service, a forum where people cut each other up, criticize each others profiles. If everyone used this site as their first experience with online dating they would not try anywhere else. Ten years in the dating business and going strong. I have gone on singles cruises with my customers and had a blast, I have arranged local single events and every one was a sell out. You have choices in life, People who are serious about meeting a partner do not mind paying for a membership, after all they are trying to find someone to spend the rest of their life with. So if you use free sites do so at your own risk. Nigerian scammers love these sites and love taking advantage of lonely singles. Protect yourself, use a good service, know the company that you are dealing with.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 03:05pm

Matchmaking Momma, you didn't really address the first two posters concerns. If a dating service doesn't have equal numbers of men and women in every age range, then some members are going to be dissatisfied. Typically there are more men than women overall, with the imbalance being worst for young adults. Ideally the dating service's statistics would be easily available for all and wouldn't depend on the age or gender of the person asking. One place where I can see this kind of info is Craigslist where there are 5 times as many ads by men as women.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 02:02pm

There is an even bigger problem that most of the sites are scams aimed at suckering you into buying a subscription by a)not letting you do anything until you have subscribed and b) sending you lots of messages from fake profiles to make you think its worth subscribing to read them and reply. The easy test is sign up for the free option, leave you profile completely blank and sit back and wait to see how many women who *really* want to meet you send you messages. If that happens you can be pretty sure that the responses you are getting have nothing to do with you and everything to do with your money. I've yet to find an adult dating site that passes the test. If anyone knows one please post it here.

You can fool some of the people all of the time and those are the ones they're after.

Ok, now I'm getting bummed out

Posted on: 2009/01/01 10:06am

This is the first time I've ever been to this site, or any other dating review site. I'm newly divorced and am trying to find some information on online dating services (and trying not to feel pathetic in the process). I'm reading all these negative posts and it's kinda depressing. Are there any real sites out there where meeting someone nice to spend time with is honestly the goal? BTW, not all of us girls are out to get your money guys. I do very well on my own thank you.

Posted on: 2009/01/02 09:55pm

No, none of the sites actually work. I don't know how they manage to stay in business, but they can hire lots of stooges to say good things about them, plus they can afford to run ads to make us think they're the only show in town.

Posted on: 2009/01/04 06:14pm

I am thinking of signing up for great expectations. the cost is high at about 4,000.
One aspect I hope is true is, seems the only ones that would sign up for that type of service are really serious, or it could be that they are just dumb, and maybe I am too? I tried E Harmony and Match last year, and didn't have great results,
Please let me know your thoughts.

Posted on: 2009/01/05 04:30pm

I have been divorced for 2 years. I checked out what Consumer Reports had to say about dating sites (yes, I'm a nerd!) and decided to try Chemistry.com. It's an offshoot of Match.com, modelled on eHarmony but not religious. I have had a profile there since mid-September and I have to say it's been pretty useless. Only ONE man (oh, I'm a 47 year old woman, btw) indicated an interest in ME; he did seem like a good possibility but pulled his profile within 12 hours of expressing interest. The other profiles that have been sent to me have mostly been not very good fits. Not one guy has responded to my indication of interest. Part of the problem for me is area specific: I am a well educated, well travelled, well read woman of 47, moderate but left leaning politically, stuck in the South. No offense to Southern men, but I am NOT what they are looking for, apparently! And vice versa. I also decided to be honest and post recent photos of myself, and to admit upfront that I'm no longer built like I was when I was 20 years old.

I completely understand the frustration among good, ordinary, decent guys trying to find someone - good, ordinary, decent women feel the same way. So, why is it so hard for us to find one another?! I don't know. I do know that for many of us, especially women, but many men too, our children's lives and schedules take up so much of our free time and energy that there's not any left for trying to get out and meet someone new.

I do want to let you all know that you should not despair - there really are nice women out here. We're just tired and we don't look like Barbies anymore, if we ever did, and we are scared and frustrated and confused too.

Don't know about any other dating services - my friends who have tried eHarmony, Match, and Cupid did not like them.

Posted on: 2009/01/07 12:34am

I'm still looking!!

I have the added disadvantage of being western but living in Asia and have found it almost impossible to find sites to find western men. Over here it seems to be sites for western men to find themselves an Asian bride.

One site which I can't comment if it's good from an actually meeting anyone perspective, but has a lot of tests to take which can be fun when you're bored is okcupid.com.

Posted on: 2009/01/27 12:35am

I have had many guest memberships to different match sites and am searching for one to member up to.
I too, like many get LOTS of matches made by the service provider. NONE fit me. The few I showed interest
in did not respond back. The few that showed interest in me first still did not respond back to my response
and I am almost certain that it is a full blown scam. About the time I thought I might member up with BBW
personalsplus.com they, not me, hosed up my login and I am waiting and waiting to get response from them
regarding that mess. By the time I do, I will have research other sites for GORGEOUS large women.
I am definetly about to return to the bar scene, one I rather gave up decades ago. I have gone to less than
one a year over the past ten years and did discover that a bottled water with a twist of lemon is just as good
or better than the alcohol I next to never drink. Problem with that though, is that I dont want to meet men with
POSSIBLE alcohol abuse problems as a possible mate.....that and I want a NON smoker and recently cannot
get away from smokers. IS there any sites not being emotionally abusive??????
SINCERELY, Mary

Posted on: 2009/01/27 10:42am

Quote by: anonymous

I am thinking of signing up for great expectations. the cost is high at about 4,000.
One aspect I hope is true is, seems the only ones that would sign up for that type of service are really serious, or it could be that they are just dumb, and maybe I am too? I tried E Harmony and Match last year, and didn't have great results,
Please let me know your thoughts.

Don
t do Great Ex. I did and after 2 years have not had any good responses. I paid $3,000. The price changes depending on how well you negoatiate. They - Great Exp - never follow up and you are basically on your own, if you send or get an email (thru the company) Match.com is better and much less costly. Not that it is very good.

Posted on: 2009/01/31 10:08am

I know 2 women that have been successful with E-Harmony. However, both of those people are also successful at meeting men when they go out to clubs. They are both thin and pretty.

In general, though, for the average person, I don't think online dating works very well. For me, E-Harmony was a depressing waste of time and money. I am a single, middle-aged, well-educated, overweight (size 16 - NOT morbidly obese), average looking woman living in a smallish college town in the South. I had no luck whatsoever with E-Harmony.

Posted on: 2009/02/15 09:46pm

ive tried No Cheaters, E-harmony, Ok Cupid, Plenty of fish, match.com, interracialdating.com, and others i cant remember. they dont work if you don't look like a supermodelof if your looking for somethings thats not a fling, one night stand, friends with benefits, ect. , ive been single for 3 years yea i know im still young (23) but im bored without having someone els to spend my time with not to mention the last 5 girlfriends i had all treated my like crap and 1 cheated on me, go figure. they really dont work, your best bet... do what it takes to make yourself happy, instead of waisting 3 grand on a dating site im buying myself a new camaro when the come out lol. Hopefully someone will give me a chance and to all you single here young and... still young ;-D i wish yall good luck finding someone i know i need it

Posted on: 2009/02/15 10:09pm

Quote by: Manbert

Matchmaking Momma, you didn't really address the first two posters concerns. If a dating service doesn't have equal numbers of men and women in every age range, then some members are going to be dissatisfied. Typically there are more men than women overall, with the imbalance being worst for young adults. Ideally the dating service's statistics would be easily available for all and wouldn't depend on the age or gender of the person asking. One place where I can see this kind of info is Craigslist where there are 5 times as many ads by men as women.

No one has control of the numbers of men and women on a site. As for age group I satisfy different age demographics on different web sites.

I feel that my dating service has the same quality of singles as other sites such as eharmony or even Match. On eHarmony there is a much more complicated sign up process which does not guarantee a perfect match. The only difference I feel is the price, that people feel it is a better service so they will pay more.

What I feel is missing from most dating sites is photos. Why would anyone post a dating profile without a photo? Ladies, you go on dating sites and will only do searches for profiles with photos, so why wouldn't you post your own photo. And for the guys out there, don't respond to women and ask them for a photo when you have not posted one yourself. No one likes to blind date, post your photo or you will not get responses. For those who DO post photos you get 10X the response rate.

Having been in this business for 10 years I have heard every horror story about other dating businesses. There are singles out there that will spend $1,000's for personal service only to find that they never get called about matches. They are too embarassed to report these companies so the companies are still out there doing the same thing to other singles. Remember it is not always the price that you pay for a service but the price that you pay personally when you do not get results. Most of these companies will tell you it is a one time fee and you will never have to pay again. What they do not tell you is exactly how many people they have in your age group, or on average how long it takes to be matched.

Think of your dating profile like a resume. The person with the best resume gets the job. So take your time when you post a profile, put up a photo and let nature take its course.

Posted on: 2009/02/28 10:23am

I have been on Match.com for 5 years. It's a pretty much worthless website. There is a scam on match.com where some girls try to get you to give them your e-mail address. These girls are selling email addresses of people who use match.com. So don't give your email address out.

(Wow, isn't that just a lovely little scam).

Well anyway,

I'm a decent looking guy , (at least in my opinion)- never married, no kids, own my own home, very good job. I get some winks, and some girls send a few emails. I get about 3 or 4 dates a year from match. Not a whole hell of a lot, considering its supposedly one of the biggest dating sights around. And the dates I do get, well, these girls are flat out rude and miserable. They don't even say, "Thanks for dinner," after I pay for the food and drinks." They just gobble down the food.
Ahhh well, such is life. I'm still looking. Maybe one day, I'll find the right lady.

Posted on: 2009/03/09 10:57am

there are about 1 good site out of a thousand that offer genuine dating services. best for you to try the ones recommended by previous users.

Cheers

None Of Them work Most falsey Advertise!!!

Posted on: 2011/11/12 07:40am

[I've been a dating canidate since online dating first began. I've joined just about every site there is, Am a long standing member and have been for a long time. My belief is that they are all bogus. Someone gets and idea to start a dating site ads a few free hot women and if you're lucky you may get a negative response. But even when you send polite comments you're lucky to gete a courtesy response, !2 years and only 2 women I have had second and 3 dates with that eventually didn't pan out. What are the odds of that happening. I am a photographer, so post current pics every mth, try different profiles, serious, romantic, comical, aggressive, joyful, hopeful, doesn't matter, women are just there to wallpaper the site!!! I get better responses just saying hi or talking to strangers on the street than any dating site,

Disgused and Truely Sad,

Posted on: 2011/11/27 11:27pm

Just a question for all of you who continually claim dating sites don't work... Are you considerably overweight, but are looking for a partner who isn't? Are you poorly groomed, but only consider very attractive people. I have had very good results with both POF and SeniorPeopleMeet, but have talked to many women in person who were very disappointed with their results... Every last one was overweight, poorly groomed, showed photos from 10-20 years earlier, and were looking for a very attractive man. Trust me, none received a second date.

Posted on: 2012/09/16 02:59pm

I have done my rounds of the free sites. I am in college at a very good (but basically all male) school and am not bad looking. My experience has been a depressing loss of time. I get responses every now and then but all the girls that end up going on dates with me are 2 to 3 times larger than you would estimate from their pictures (and 2 to 3 times larger than myself). I should have brought a harpoon to the last date I went on. She was normal looking in her pictures (even in the full-body shot which must have been taken 10 years ago). I cant bring myself to settle for someone that makes me want to throw up. I should also mention that all the girls seem so spoiled from constantly having guys send them messages that any compliment or nice thing you do for them is unappreciated. I have given up several times, but then find myself so lonely that I sign up again, which only exacerbates the problem. It hurts so bad. Every morning I wake up and my chest feels like there's a knife through it. I'm about to the end of my rope in life. If you're extremely lonely and thinking of joining a dating site, might as well just shoot yourself now and don't prologue the inevitable. No really, I'm not kidding.

Posted on: 2012/12/02 11:14pm

I think whether a dating site "works" or not depends on the person using it. That's a fairly obvious statement, but I don't mean any sarcasm by it. I guess my point is that one should really consider which dating sites are right for them as well as the male to female gender ratios on the sites.
As a single girl in my mid-20s living in a large metro area, I actually get tons of messages. I try to respond to most of them but it's not too easy. As for one of my college buddies, who's a dude in a suburb of PA, it hasn't been so easy - and I recommended the same site I'm on. So, I guess it just depends.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 01:38am

I have tried E-harmony, match and POF and all 3 of them were below average for me. I am a 38 year old male who is seriously looking to find somebody where i can settle down. I found Match was effective in the beginning but after a while, the quality of people went down hill. POF and e-harmony are no better. I know for some it has worked but unless you are handsome, caucasian, good looking you don't stand a chance. I also tried a matchmaker by Volt connection here in Southern Ontario. Save your money, she, has good intentions but there is nobody in her database who is compatible with you.

Dating Sites Reviews - Forum
https://www.datingsitesreviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=2660