Welcome to Dating Sites Reviews
Coffee Meets Bagel Review
Coffee Meets Bagel Review
Intrigued by the idea of online dating, but don't have time to spare for swiping? Coffee Meets Bagel strives to make dating painless, efficient, effective, and accessible for even the busiest singles.
The app was launched in 2012 by three sisters living in New York City. Disappointed by the crop of dating apps currently available, Arum Kang, Dawoon Kang, and Soo Kang devised their own. They hoped to attract young professionals whose hectic lives didn't leave much time for romance, as well as women who were looking for safer spaces in which to date.
Coffee Meets Bagel has met and exceeded those goals. The app is now available in cities around the world and appeared on Shark Tank, where the Kang sisters turned down a $30 million offer from Mark Cuban.
So what makes it so special?
Coffee Meets Bagel is based on three guiding principles. One: unless you want to tell others, your dating life should remain private. Two: your friends are the best conduits for your dates. Three: meeting quality people doesn't have to be so awkward or complicated.
CMB uses your social circle to curate one match (called a 'Bagel') for you every day. Users receive a daily notification at noon alerting them that their Bagel is ready. This eliminates the need to sink hours into swiping and scanning profiles, checking messages, and hunting for a match amongst random strangers.
Because you're presented with only one match per day, Coffee Meets Bagel is invested in making sure it's the best possible choice. Studies have shown that having mutual friends between matches results in 40% more connections, so all CMB users are required to sign up with their Facebook profiles. This allows the CMB algorithm to scan users' social circles for compatible matches that are friends-of-friends, and also helps weed out fake accounts.
If you're worried about linking your Facebook account, don't be. Coffee Meets Bagel will never post anything to your profile, never inform anyone you have joined, and never publicly link your Facebook to your CMB profile. Your privacy is a priority.
When you receive your daily Bagel, you have two options: LIKE or PASS. You have until the next day at noon to make a decision or lose that Bagel forever. If you LIKE your Bagel, your profile will be sent to them on the soonest day they do not already have a match lined up (typically within 1 to 3 days). If there is a mutual LIKE, you are automatically connected via a private, in-app chat and CMB kicks the conversation off with an icebreaker.
But what happens if your Bagel isn't to your taste, or you prefer to have more control over the matching process? Coffee Meets Bagel also offers a 'Discover' tab, where you can search through profiles that don't quite meet your criteria. From there you can choose to 'Give' or 'Take' a profile that catches your eye. If you 'Take', you may select an intriguing Bagel for a chance to connect. If you see someone a friend might like, you can play matchmaker and 'Give' them that Bagel. A 'Take' costs Coffee Beans, the in-app currency, while a 'Give' earns them.
Coffee Beans are available for purchase, or can be earned by performing a variety of tasks. Users can collect Beans by inviting friends to use the app, following the company on social media, or giving other members profile photo feedback in the Photo Lab feature. Beans are used to unlock features like revisiting missed matches with Rematch or revealing the identity of a match's mutual friends.
Perhaps the best part about Beans is how little they're needed. Coffee Meets Bagel is entirely free to use (yes, even messaging, which is frequently limited to paid users on other dating services). Add that to the app's investment in privacy, focus on quality over quantity, and time-saving algorithm, and you have a service that feels more like a friend than an indifferent corporation.
Is your everything bagel out there? Download Coffee Meets Bagel for iOS or Android to find out.
Positive Features of Coffee Meets Bagel
- A good choice for people who are busy and don't have a lot of time to commit to online dating
- Because matches are curated using your social networks, your potential dates are already vetted by friends
- Access to the app's full functionality is free, with special features that can be unlocked by earning or purchasing Coffee Beans
Negative Features of Coffee Meets Bagel
- Not ideal for singles who want extensive control over the matching process
- Matching with friends of friends could mean potentially awkward encounters with co-workers, exes, or other mutual connections
- Profiles are limited, so don't expect deep insight into a potential match's personality
At a Glance
- United States, Canada
- Member Numbers:
- Not Available
- Cost per Month:
- $24.99 for 3000 credits
- Membership Types:
- Free - Basic + Contact
Average User Reviews & Ratings
Related Posts & Pages
- Coffee Meets Bagel Partners With...
- Nine Ways to Ensure First Date S...
- The US Dating Awards Honor The B...
- Coffee Meets Bagel Review
- Dating Apps Launch New Features ...
- The Dating Site With The Highest...
- Tech Crunch Disrupt Talks Female...
- Coffee Meets Bagel’s Newest Feat...
- Coffee Meets Bagel Launches Its ...
- Which Dating Service Rules On So...
Coffee Meets Bagel Free Membership
- Free Memberships
- Mobile app available for iOS and Android
- Create a basic profile
- Log in with Facebook
- Indicate gender and the desired gender of matches
- Input location or use GPS to determine location
- Describe yourself by selecting options from provided lists
- Your perfect date
- Your ideal vacation
- Invite a friend to earn Coffee Beans
- 500 beans earned for every friend who joins
- Create a full profile
- Age, ethnicity, height
- Religion, occupation, employer, school, degree
- Finish the following sentences:
- I am...
- I like...
- I appreciate when my date...
- Add an icebreaker to your private profile
- Submit something interesting about yourself that isn't on your public profile – CMB will use these fun facts to break the ice with some of your Bagels
- Sexual orientation, age range, height range, match radius, religion, ethnicity
- Import images from Facebook or choose from phone gallery
- Add 140 character captions
- Can upload up to 9 pictures
- Not Included:
- Send a Woo to get noticed faster
- Revisit a missed match with Rematch
- Connect with matches that are not your daily Bagel using 'Give & Take'
- Reveal the identity of your match's mutual friends
- One click search type
- Receive SingledOut matches
- Keep track of all open Connections in one place
- Remove members you're not interested in from your search results to make room for other possibilities
- Highlighted profile
- Priority access to events
- Your profile will be reviewed by a member of the Match.com customer service team within 48 hours. Once approved, other members will be able to find you
Relationship Types Allowed
Your Relationship Status
Relationships You can Look For
Coffee Meets Bagel Costs
- Membership costs last confirmed June 9, 2016. Please check Coffee Meets Bagel for most recent pricing
- Coffee Beans
- 100 for $1.99
- 2000 for $23.99 (save 39%)
- 3000 for $24.99 (save 60%)
- Coffee Meets Bagel accepts payment via Google Play and iTunes
Coffee Meets Bagel Viewing & Communication Tools
- Mail Messages
- Send, receive, and reply to messages from other members
- Send a Woo
- Send a Woo to get noticed faster and let your Bagel know how special they are
- Tap “Woo” on the lower right corner of the LIKE button to activate the Woo screen. Click the plus (+) sign on the lower right corner to add as many Woos as you want. Keep track of how many you add in the upper right corner of the screen. To the left of the Woo button, you'll see the amount of Beans deducted per Woo
- When you 'Like' someone (regardless of how you received that Bagel -- either by Discover, Rematch, or your Daily Bagels) your profile will automatically be sent to that person on the soonest day they do not already have a match lined up. Typically, your profile will be seen within 1-3 days
- Push Notifications
- You will receive a push notification and an email if a Bagel 'Likes' you back
Search For Members By
- Daily Bagel
- CMB curates one match for you each day at noon
- You have until the next day at noon to LIKE or PASS on the match
- Once you LIKE your Bagel, they are sent your profile on the soonest day they do not already have a match lined up so they can LIKE or PASS in response
- If there is a mutual LIKE, the app connects you and your match via a private, in-app chat and gets the conversation started with an icebreaker
- As often as possible, your matches are connected to you through mutual Facebook friends
- Ladies Choice
- CMB female users will receive five matches per day from men who have “liked” their profiles. Men of Coffee Meets Bagel will be able to scroll through 21 potential matches per day (men like more choice)
- For more on this feature you can read: Dating Apps Launch New Features to Compete with Tinder
- Profiles found under 'Discover' are matches in your area that do not necessarily meet your criteria nor do you necessarily meet theirs
- Give & Take
- If you use the 'Take' option, you are able to choose one of these Bagels for a chance to connect if a profile catches your eye
- If you see someone that a friend might like, play matchmaker and 'Give' that Bagel to a friend by clicking the arrow
- 'Take' costs Beans while 'Give' earns you Beans
Other Coffee Meets Bagel Information
- Coffee Meets Bagel's creators were featured on Shark Tank, where they turned down $30,000,000 for the company
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our information at DatingSitesReviews.com we shall not be held responsible for any discrepancy. There is a possibility that the information provided here is outdated or wrong, please check with the service directly for the most recent information. As always you should read your terms of service before signing up to any online service.