Welcome to Dating Sites Reviews
Are You Interested? Review (AYI.com)
Are You Interested? Review
As of March 3, 2016, AYI.com (Are You Interested) has been rebranded as FirstMet (see Story). Check out our FirstMet review to see if this new and improved dating service is perfect for you. If you are looking for information on other popular dating sites and apps, take a look at our Match.com review and/or our eHarmony review.
Below, we have left our original Are You Interested review for your continued reading. The review received its last major update on December 20, 2015.
AYI.com (Are You Interested?) is one of the largest online dating websites around, with more than 70 million installed users and over 3 million Facebook fans. What makes it unique is its well-rounded, completely integrated dating experience. AYI has a little bit of everything:a Facebook app, an iPhone app, an Android app, and a website. Each one makes it easy to meet singles by connecting them through mutual friends and interests, all for free.
Registering for the AYI website is a quick process, as you would expect from something so closely tied to the rapid worlds of social media and mobile apps. Users can opt to sign in by connecting directly with their Facebook accounts, or by registering with their email addresses. Input your gender, the gender you’re looking for, and your zip code, then the usual sign-up info like username and password.
New users are asked to pick at least three interests from a selection of images, so that AYI can begin matching based on shared hobbies and passions, and then the real fun begins. Matching is a simple, streamlined procedure on AYI. Members are presented with a series of pictures, and must respond by clicking “Yes” or “Skip.” That’s all there is to it.
For users who want more control over the matching process, there are other options. Under the “Search” tab members can conduct more detailed searches based on the usual dating site categories (age, ethnicity, marital status, education, income, etc). Under the “Intros” tab, users are introduced to one new member every day based on AYI’s matching algorithm.
As is usually the case with ‘free’ dating sites, free membership doesn’t get you access to every feature AYI has to offer. Free members can search and chat online with other members via instant messaging. Paid members receive unlimited messaging, the ability to see who viewed their profiles, and the option to browse outside their country.
On Facebook, the AYI experience is almost exactly the same. Click on the app page, input your basic info, and hit “Meet My Matches.” Once you’re inside the app, you’ll find yourself in familiar territory. The page looks and functions exactly like the AYI website, with the addition of a section that shows any friends you have in common with your potential matches. You can also choose to browse “One-by-One” or by “Friends-of-Friends.” Once again, the Facebook app’s interface is clean and the user experience is simple and streamlined.
The mobile app is where AYI really shines. The efficient matching system, minimalist profiles, and straightforward design are ideally suited to use on a smartphone. Users who sign into their accounts using the free iPhone or Android apps are immediately presented with AYI’s browsing system. A large photo fills most of the screen, with the “Yes” or “Skip” buttons below it.
The navigation system across the top of the screen in the AYI app is intuitive and easy to use. The first button, “Connections,” shows the same lists that can be found on the website and Facebook app (My Likes, Likes Me, Matches, etc). The second button leads to the AYI messaging system, and the third is a basic filtering system that can be used to narrow down your matches by location, age, and ethnicity. If you’re interested in more advanced features, you can also upgrade to a premium account from within the mobile app.
All in all, AYI is a solid choice if you’re looking for something basic. Singles searching for long-term love probably won’t find what they’re looking for in AYI’s service, but those interested in casual dating might enjoy the many options AYI provides and the easiness of using its various platforms. Each variation of the service functions well, but AYI’s quick and easy matching method works best in the mobile context.
- Try out the popular Facebook and mobile Are You Interested App
Note: See this page for a full list of past awards
Positive Features of Are You Interested?
- Registration is 100% free and, unlike many other free dating sites, there are no ads on AYI.com
- AYI is very easy to use. Even the technologically challenged will have no problems navigating its simple user interface
- Users who appreciate having options will enjoy that they can use AYI in several different contexts:website, Facebook, mobile apps
Negative Features of Are You Interested?
- Initial sign up is limited depending on which platform is used. Members can only choose male or female under the “Seeking” section on the website. On Facebook and the mobile apps, “Both” is also an option
- Profiles are limited. AYI covers a lot of information about what users enjoy doing, but doesn’t offer opportunities for users to introduce themselves in depth or discuss what they’re looking for in a partner
- Communication is limited without a paid subscription
At a Glance
- United States, Canada, United Kingdom, International
- Member Numbers:
- Cost per Month:
- From $12.50 per month
- Membership Types:
- Free - Basic
Average User Reviews & Ratings
Related Posts & Pages
- Are You Interested? Review (AYI....
- Are You Interested? Awards
- Dating Service AYI Relaunches as...
- Snap Interactive Reports Q3 2014...
- Are You Interested Achieves #1 G...
- Who Is The Average Online Dater?
- iOS vs. Android Users: With Dati...
- Why Online Dating is for All Ages
- 2013 Dating Sites Reviews Choice...
- Top Relationship Experts Team Up...
Are You Interested? Free Membership
- Create a profile
- Basic information
- Ethnicity, religion, politics, marital status
- Education, career, income
- Smoking habits, diet, drinking, exercise
- Physical characteristics
- Areas of Interest, Music, Movies, Television, Books, Activites, Other Interests, Likes
- Add photos (up to 10 photos)
- Search and view profiles
- Ask an icebreaker question
- Receive daily intros
- Likes Me list
- Create a profile
- Not Included:
- Cannot access all lists
- Cannot see who viewed your profile
- No unlimited messaging
Relationship Types Allowed
Your Relationship Status
Relationships You can Look For
- Activity Partner
Are You Interested? Costs
- Membership costs last confirmed Oct 9, 2014. Please check Are You Interested? for most recent pricing
- Pay by credit card, PayPal, or ACH/eCheck
- Register for a free membership or a paid premium membership
- Free membership includes:
- Upload pictures
- Browse and search members
- Daily intros
- Limited contact
- Limited lists
- Premium membership includes:
- Everything from the standard plan, plus:
- Unlimited messaging (including with non-premium members)
- Friends in Common
- Prioritized customer service
- See who has viewed your profile
- Costs in US dollars:
- $12.50/month for 6 months (billed $74.97)
- $16.66/month for 3 months (billed $49.99)
- $24.99/month for 1 month (billed $24.99)
Are You Interested? Viewing & Communication Tools
- Private email
- Instant messaging
- Icebreaker question
- My Likes
- Likes Me
- Viewed Me
- Facebook app
- Can be linked to website
- Retains all the functionality of the website
- Mobile app
- For both iPhone and Android
- Search functionality is limited compared to the website and Facebook app
- The mobile app can be used to send and read private messages
Search For Members By
- Receive results from the site based on shared interests
- Narrow down search results by location, age, interests, height, body type, ethnicity
- Friends of Friends
- Advanced search (all aspects of profile)
- My Likes
- Likes Me
- Viewed Me
- Mobile app
- Limited search functionality compared to the website and Facebook app
- The “Browse” function remains the same, but the mobile app lacks more advanced search capabilities
- The ability to narrow down search results is also limited to age, location, and ethnicity
- Facebook app
- Contains the same search functionality as the website
Other Are You Interested? Information
- AYI is owned and operated by SNAP Interactive, Inc., a leading provider of online dating and social networking applications for social networking websites and mobile platforms
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our information at DatingSitesReviews.com we shall not be held responsible for any discrepancy. There is a possibility that the information provided here is outdated or wrong, please check with the service directly for the most recent information. As always you should read your terms of service before signing up to any online service.