Welcome to Dating Sites Reviews
Facebook Review (Facebook.com)
Although Facebook.com is not a site dedicated exclusively to dating, it could be the site where you meet your next date. Founded in 2004, the site has more than 500 million users, is available in over 70 languages, and is easy to use and navigate. While not a traditional dating site, this extremely popular social network allows you not only to search for other singles in a variety of ways, but it also allows you to connect with your current friends and family, if you’d like. The site is designed, at its core, to allow you to connect with people you already know “in real life.” However, the site provides a great opportunity for singles to connect with friends of friends and with other people who share similar interests.
Unlike more traditional dating sites, you can’t simply create a profile and expect messages to come in. Because Facebook is a general social networking website, you’ll have the opportunity to create a profile, upload unlimited videos and images, send and receive messages, pokes and chats, and “like” your various interests. The site offers a variety of ways to explore local and topical groups, fan pages and companies. You can join a “group” about hiking in your area, for example, and connect with other people are interested in similar activities as you. Or, you can check out friends of friends and ask for an introduction to someone who catches your eye.
Positive Features of Facebook
- Completely free site (some of the dating applications are not)
- One of the largest online social networks in the world – giving you the chance to meet many other singles
- A variety of communication tools, applications and features for you to showcase your interests and become involved in various groups
Negative Features of Facebook
- Not devoted exclusively to dating, so you must approach this site differently and with a little extra effort to find other singles
- Privacy settings can be difficult to use and understand. If not used correctly your family and friends may see your messages about dating and relationships
At a Glance
- United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, International
- English, Chinese, Dutch, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Other
- Member Numbers:
- Cost per Month:
- Membership Types:
- Free - Complete
Average User Reviews & Ratings
Related Posts & Pages
- Facebook Information, Statistics...
- Facebook Algorithm Change Leaves...
- Six Degrees of Separation Betwee...
- Facebook Review (Facebook.com)
- Are Facebook’s Friend Suggestion...
- Coffee Meets Bagel Goes Internat...
- Facebook Is Letting Users Go Ano...
- Facebook Branches Out Into Uncha...
- Did Facebook & OkCupid Violate S...
- Tinder Matches Lost due to Faceb...
Facebook Free Membership
- Yes (unlimited)
- Create a profile (required)
- First name, last name, email address, create a password, gender, date of birth
- Once you’ve signed up, there is an option to find other people you know by allowing Facebook to access your email address book
- You can add your high school, college/university, employer
- Add a photo
- You may fill in as much—or as little—of the following information as you’d like
- Basic information:current city, hometown, gender, gender interested in, languages and a free-form “about me”
- Featured people:includes links to family and friends Facebook profiles. Also shows your relationship status in which there are 11 to choose from (single, in a relationship, separated, etc.)
- Education & work:employer, college/university, high school
- Philosophy:religion & description, political views & description, people who inspire you, favorite quotations
- Arts and entertainment:music, books, movies, televisions, games
- Sports:sports you play, favorite teams, favorite athletes
- Activities & interests
- Contact information:emails, IM screennames, mobile phone, address, website Please note:it’s advisable NOT to share your home address, as this information could potentially be available to anyone, depending on your privacy settings
- You may choose to activate your mobile phone, which allows you to receive text message (SMS) updates about your friends statuses and messages instantly
- Upload & view videos (unlimited)
- Upload & view photos (unlimited)
- Send & receive “pokes” (similar to smiles or flirts on dating sites)
- View open events and parties
- Create a profile (required)
- Not included:
- All Facebook features are free to use except for some third party in-site applications
Relationship Types Allowed
Your Relationship Status
- In a Relationship
Relationships You can Look For
- None. Facebook.com is free to use (unless you are using some third party in-site applications)
Facebook Viewing & Communication Tools
- Personal profile
- Photos (unlimited)
- Post & view videos
- Chat feature
- Ability to search & view other members’ profiles
- Pokes (similar to winks or flirts)
- Ability to contact other users via a message
- A new feature of Facebook that allows you to ask for more information about a person. If there relationship status is not visible you can click on the "Ask" button to get permission to find out
- When you ask for the information you are also able to state the reason why you are asking
- See our article about Facebook's Ask Feature for more information
- Facebook In-Site Applications
- There are a variety of “applications” that, at the time of this review, included topics like “Online speed dating,” “Christian dating,” and “Dating singles.” These applications are NOT created by Facebook.com staff, but are instead developed by third-party developers. You can browse the list of apps that relate to “dating” (or any other search term you choose), and choose whether or not you’d like to explore that app. Do note that while many applications are free, there are some that charge a fee
- Be aware that depending on the application, any information in your profile may be used by the application. Be sure to read the terms before “allowing” an application to access your profile—especially if you’re concerned about privacy
- For a list of reviewed applications, check our our Facebook Dating Applications category
- Mobile Application
- Facebook Mobile is available on the iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Palm. Be sure to visit the app store for your phone to find the Facebook application
- While most of these mobile apps have a lot of functionality, none of them has the same full functionality as the web-based site. Fortunately, though, they do offer options to message people from your phone, comment on statuses and photos, add friends and search
- Privacy and safety features
- Easy to block any users who are offensive or bother you
- Various levels of privacy settings that allow you to modify how much of your profile (including status updates, photos, links, etc.) is visible to others
- It can get complex to control your privacy settings though recent updates to Facebook has made things easier
Search For Members By
- Friends of friends
- Browse through friends of your friends. Depending on the level of privacy those friends have set up, you’ll, at a minimum, most likely be able to view their profile photo, location, and some of their interests. If a particular person sparks your interest, consider asking your mutual friend for an introduction. Or, you have the option to send a message to that person. Another option (again, depending on privacy settings) is to view your friends’ walls and comment on statuses and photos they’ve posted. We’d recommend you exercise caution in “adding as a friend” people you don’t yet know. Doing so may be perceived as too up-front or invasive. However, once you’ve messaged each other or have established common interests and/or friends, you may get to the point where it’s appropriate to add as a friend. Use discretion and be respectful
- One bit of advice:We understand that privacy on the internet is of concern to many people. If you set YOUR profile up to be viewable by “friends of friends” (versus the most-private setting of “Only friends”), you’ll increase the likelihood that other people will contact you and feel comfortable messaging with you, because you’ve opened up your profile)
- Facebook “fan pages” are available for thousands of different interest, topics, companies, organizations and events. Use the search bar at the top of the home screen to search for topics, locations, or companies you like. From there, comment on statuses or photos and interact. The more you interact, the more visible you are. If you see other interesting people also interacting and commenting, consider sending them a message
- You may also search for other people by location. Doing so will help you find people in your area
- Friends of friends
- Lists – can view members based on lists, including:
- You can organize your friends with various lists (for example, “high school classmates” or “former coworkers”)
- See the latest “news” (status updates, photos, etc.) in your news feed
- Note that these lists only apply to those people with whom you are “friends” on Facebook
Other Facebook Information
- This is not a traditional dating site, but instead is a broad social networking site
- Must by 13 years or older to use this social networking site
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our information at DatingSitesReviews.com we shall not be held responsible for any discrepancy. There is a possibility that the information provided here is outdated or wrong, please check with the service directly for the most recent information. As always you should read your terms of service before signing up to any online service.