An article from Canoe took a look at online dating statistics in Canada.
From a cross-Canada survey conducted by Leger Marketing, they concluded the following points:
- 25 percent of Canadians have tried online dating. The percentage rises to 36 percent if you look at people between the ages of 18 and 34 (much higher than in 2009)
- Still, the majority of people do not plan to try online dating as 69 percent of them said that it is not likely they could find love online
- 64 percent of singles using online dating say that common interests is the most important factor when looking for a match
- 49 percent of singles using online dating say that physical characteristics from photos and videos is the most important factor when choosing a match
- 39 percent of all the Canadians surveyed said that they actually read over all of the information provided in a dating profile
Online dating has seen a huge increase in popularity in the last few years in Canada and the rest of the world. According to the Canadian owned dating site Plenty Of Fish, they have seen a 40 percent increase in memberships over the last 2 years. Plenty Of Fish currently has 33 million registered users from around the world.